Friday, August 31, 2007

The rest is still unwritten

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned
Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin

No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way
Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin

No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

Natasha Bedingfield's fabulous song about choice. Choose what you want your life to be. Make it happen - pick up the pen and write your own ending. Powerful stuff, isn't it? Life can either happen TO us or we can LIVE it. Living is brave and empowering.

The word FEAR has been in front of my face so much lately. I told you that I read Al Gore's book, The Assault on Reason. It is a very powerful book. Check it out - it needs to be read. In his book, he talks about being controlled by fear. And what we lose when that happens.

I have been facing my own fears both as as artist (what if I truly don't have anything to say with my art? What if I am just forgettable as an artist?) and in my personal life (Am I going to put aside my old behaviors and believe that there is an important purpose for my life and walk confidently in that direction?). People I love are coming to terms with their own fears about who they are vs. who they have been told they are by people with their own agendas. It is powerful stuff of bravery and willingness to feel pain.

I hear acquaintances saying that they are not doing things because they are afraid and therefore they are right not to do them. I could not disagree more. But while they are sure they are right, they are not open to hearing otherwise. Your words literally fall on deaf ears. Fear does stop people in their tracks. And yes, it is human to be afraid but let's not pretend that it is wise to remain powerless. Pa-leeze. Be truthful - I am scared so I ain't gonna.

For me - I am walking, pausing for refilling, and walking more gathering speed and confidence. My ending is still unwritten. I can't wait to see where it takes me!

No comments: